Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Cautionary tale of Obedience

(Or, the monster that lives within each parent)

Little boys who do not do
The things that they are told to do,
(And this applies to girls as well)
May one day hear their parents yell
Until their eyes pop out of their heads
Their faces change from pinks to reds
Their clenching fingers turn to claws
Saliva dripping from their jaws.
And little girls and little boys
Will vanish with a gulping noise
Their bones will crunch as they are swallowed.
If they had only heard and followed
What all their parents always said
They’d still be here, not eaten, dead.

So in order to grow up and old,
Remember: Do as you are told.
For if you don’t a nasty fate
Will happen and you might be ate.

10 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Ah excuse me I shall just pop up to the West wind and do a swift head count of small children I think .....

Faith said...

Did you write that? It sounds like that poet who wrote... damn I cant remember, but poems like the one about Matilda who told such dreadful lies it made you..... sorry cant remember the rest, and I'm rambling so better go!

jackofall said...

Hilaire Belloc is who you're thinking of, Faith, and Matilda told such dreadful lies.

Thank you for the comparison.

Pondside said...

You also remind me of Dennis Lee who wrote Alligator Pie, among many others. I love them!! They are a nice break from Mother Goose!

Suffolkmum said...

Am loving these. Will read them to my horrors - my son in particular loves stuff like this, he adores Milligan and Roald Dahls revoltig rhymes and stuff like that. Great.

countrymousie said...

Very good - very very good.
I am a great fan of the Matilda poem and was often quoted this by my mother when I was small as I did like to fib!

annakarenin said...

Really loved this one too a suffolk says it is of Dahl ilk. Going to copy it to read to my boys and hope they take note.

annakarenin said...

i liked your second poem but luckily my mums never tried to eat me.
from T.W.P

Exmoorjane said...

Berludy brilliant, as WW would say. Love it. needs illustrating by Edward Gorey (my absolute favourite). Shall read to James in ominous threatening tones. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel